Sunday, January 18, 2015

Healthy Choices and Weekend Projects


My first week as a blogger and I have to say- the response has been overwhelming! I was really hesitant to put myself out there but I have received such positive feedback! It makes a girl feel good!

So, week one my goal was to work on healthy eating habits. After posting, John and I sat down and planned our meals for the week. We do this every week so that wasn’t really anything new. What was new, was our food choices. A lot of our food choices involve casseroles with cream of ___ soup, pizza, fried chicken and PASTA.  I love pasta.  As a matter of fact, right as I was sitting down to blog John turned to me and said, “They are making your favorite thing on T.V.!!” I asked him what was that, and his response was “pasta.”

When I told John that we were going to try and eat healthier he gave me the “I don’t like that idea” look. I quickly explained what I meant by that. Because let’s be real. I weigh 105 pounds. I’m not looking to lose weight here- just looking to eat better. Here were my rules:

1.     No soda in the house. If we go out and want a soda, that’s fine. But I don’t want it in the house.
2.     I’d like to stay away from cream of ______ soups.
3.     I wanted to use more fresh ingredients in our meals
4.     I wanted to come up with a breakfast plan for myself.

We settled on these three meals:
            Chicken, Potato’s and fresh green beans
            Stuffed Peppers
            Light Alfredo Pasta with Fresh Steamed broccoli.

Now you are probably wondering why there are only three meals. Well, we are a family of two, so typically when we make a dish it produces a lot of leftovers. John is also a coach, so sometimes he does not get home until after 9pm. So I typically eat leftovers or something light on those nights.

The chicken, potato and fresh green beans was the only new recipe for us and boy was it a hit! For a very simple dish- it had a lot of great flavor! We will be making it again!

Week one was a success for healthy eating and comparing grocery bills- it was really just about the same as our bill always is. Roughly $60-$70. I was worried that with all of the fresh produce, our bill was going to be large.

Aside from our healthy eating- this weekend turned into a project weekend. I made a new wreath for the door, John raked leaves and cleaned out the garage and we hung a cabinet up in our laundry room that my dad bought at the habitat for humanity store. We also had to replace the light with an in-ground one so we could open the cabinet door :)







For next week- we are hoping to continue to eat healthy and use even more fresh ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment